The Ten Essential Touchstones:
- Open to the presence of your loss.
- Dispel misconceptions about grief.
- Embrace the uniqueness of your grief.
- Explore what you might experience.
- Recognize you are not crazy.
- Understand the six needs of mourning.
- Nurture yourself.
- Reach out for help.
- Seek reconciliation, not resolution.
- Appreciate your transformation.
Think of your grief as a wilderness—a vast, inhospitable forest. You must journey through this wilderness. To find your way out, you must become acquainted with its terrain and learn to follow the sometimes hard-to-find trail that leads to healing. In the wilderness of your grief, the touchstones are your trail markers. They are the signs that let you know you are on the right path. When you learn to identify and rely on the touchstones, you will find your way to hope and healing. For those of you who were fans of the old Understanding Grief (which is no longer available), rest assured that the same content and more is covered in this wonderful new text. The companion journal now provides space for writing and reflection.