Companioning Bereaved Parents
This seminar will enhance your capacity to artfully “companion” bereaved parents. When a child dies, it’s as if a deep hole implodes inside the parent. It’s as if the hole penetrates them and leaves them gasping for air. As Nicholas Wolterstoff wrote so honestly in Lament for a Son, “It’s hard to keep one’s footing.” This training will help you provide some “footing” to grieving parents.
Topics will include:
- Understanding attachment influences on the parent-child bond
- Unique influences on parental grief: the whys of the journey
- The special features of miscarriage, stillbirth, infant death, and teen death
- The special features of the death of an adult child
- Application of the tenets of “companioning” as you support bereaved parents
- How to apply Dr. Wolfelt’s six central needs of mourning in the healing process
- Guidelines for facilitating support groups for bereaved parents
- Understanding and respecting the transformative nature of parental grief
Participants will receive a copy of Healing a Parent’s Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas After Your Child Dies and The Handbook for Companioning the Mourner.
***The November 7-10, 2022 training in Scottsdale, Arizona is now closed to online registration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the waitlist.***
***Please select “Free Shipping” at check-out***